I love designing my bulletin boards! There is nothing better than displaying student work in colourful creative ways. On the first day of school many hallway bulletin boards are beautifully decorated with a welcome back to school design. Not mine!! Nope, for the last couple years I have chose to leave my hallway bulletin board prepped with paper and boarder (that's all) in anticipation of our class "Introducing Me!" display. This display has three components to it, student photo, self portrait and writing.
Step #1 My favourite thing to do on the first day of school is to take a photo of each student holding a specially decorated frame.
This year I gave my frame a facelift with a whole new look. The base of this frame is a picture mat, so it is easy for the students to hold. To decorate it, I used a variety of different paper, display boarder, ribbon, double sided tape and other crafting supplies. Oh and thanks to my friend Angela at Fun in Fourth for helping me make the letters for Grade Two. This is my favourite frame decor yet.
I love the bright colours!!
| Smile!! |
Step #2 The second step is to have each student draw a self portrait. I usually have a set of hand held mirrors available for students to use during this lesson. It is always fun to see them looking in the mirrors when we talk about the symmetry of the face, kids make the funniest facial expressions!
First we practice drawing our self portraits on a piece of scrap paper using a pencil. When students are ready for their good self portrait I give them the "Introducing Me!" page and let them use pencil crayons.
![]() |
| Student pa |
The frame on the left is where students will draw their self portrait
and the frame on the right is where I will glue on their photo taken in Step #1. I have designed this page so that the frames fit a 4x6 vertical
photo.
![]() |
| Example of page, after Step #1 and #2 are completed |
Step #3 The next step is a writing component. I give each student a strip of paper and have them introduce themselves and write a couple sentences that tell about who they are, things they like, etc..
![]() | ||||
| Cut this page into three strips. |
Step #4 Once the writing is completed both the picture page and writing strip are mounted on a 12x12 piece of paper. This year I chose to use white cardstock for the student pages and patterned scrapbook paper for the background. That was a personal choice, but in the past I have used coloured cardstock for the background and white printer paper for the student pages. The finished product looks like my example below!
| Finished and ready to be laminated! |
Step #5 Laminate the finished pages...I always do this to create a nice keepsake for the end of the year.
You will have to wait to see a picture of my finished bulletin board!
Grab this item on my Teachers Pay Teachers Store HERE!
Grab this item on my Teachers Pay Teachers Store HERE!




I love how your frame facelift turned out! The colours are great. Can't wait to see the finished board.
ReplyDelete